Tuesday 27 August 2013

The Secret World of Cell Barnes Hospital

My first experience of being in a hospital setting was as a Friday afternoon volunteer at Cell Barnes Hospital, a hospital for long term patients with severe learning and physical disabilities. Cell Barnes Hospital was built by Hertfordshire County Council on a plot of land formerly owned by the Earl of Verulam and sitting on the southern outskirts of St.Albans. It was officially opened in 1933 as a certified institution for the reception of Mental Defectives as defined by the Mental Deficiency Act 1913. The act categorised mental deficiencies into a hierarchy of conditions starting from the bottom with Idiot and moving up to Imbecile then to the Feeble-Minded and then finally to the Morally Defective at the top; in each case the condition had to be present from birth or an early age to meet the definition in full.

The 600 bedded hospital took its first five patients in March 1933 and quickly became established with a full population. During the war it provided additional beds for St.Bartholomew’s Hospital, London along with its nearby neighbour, Hill End Hospital. Shortly after the war, in 1948, the newly formed National Health Service acquired Cell Barnes along with Harperbury Hospital (also for Mental Defectives) and grouped them together to be managed by the Cell Barnes and Harperbury Group (No 8) Hospital Management Committee, which was responsible to the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. The hospital continued to house patients in need of long term care, catering for over 700 at its peak, until its controlled demise in the year 2000.

At the time I was there, around 1980, Cell Barnes was still a thriving hospital comprised of multiple buildings including the large main house which housed the hospital dentist, the original two storey dormitory wards and many additional buildings including the social club, the Ena Daniels School and the hospital kitchens. Although the original hospital farm had been discontinued in 1965 (most hospital farms were closed down around the same time in keeping with the then government policy) the site remained green, open and spacious and those patients who could move around the grounds freely were encouraged to do so.

I went to Cell Barnes as a volunteer because I didn’t like cross country running not because I had a deep yearning to work in healthcare. As a pupil at the nearby Beaumont Secondary School in St.Albans, Friday afternoons were given over to three mile runs which took us gasping and purple faced across the muddy fields and tracks of the neighbouring Oakland’s College campus. However, the school was also keen to build links with the local community so a group of pupils were asked if they would like to forego the Friday afternoon mud run and make weekly visits to the patients in Cell Barnes instead. The hands of those of us without an athletic bone in our bodies shot up quickly and low and behold we found ourselves on the volunteer books at Cell Barnes.

Our first duty was to accompany a group of patients on an all day trip to the adventure park and fair ground at Billing Aquadrome, Northamptonshire. On the day in question, the school minibus took us to the hospital early in the morning so that we could travel to the Aquadrome with the patients and staff. On arrival we could see a hire coach waiting to depart with the patients already on board, each sat by the window next to an empty seat. The group leader asked to get on and sit ourselves next to a patient, who would then be our ‘charge’ for the day. It was with some trepidation (and no preparation), that we climbed on board and made our way down the coach, filling the empty seats as we went.

I sat down next to a man who looked to be in his thirties (28 it turned out). He had a thinning hair combed over the top of his head and was wearing a dark blue mac and a suit and shirt underneath. His face was wrinkled and his almond-shaped eyes thinned when he smiled. His shoulders were sprinkled with dandruff, made worse by his frequent habit of pulling a comb from his suit pocket and combing over any stray (real or imaginary) strands of hair. His name was Malcolm Drabbling (pseudonym), he had Down’s Syndrome and he could talk for England. He talked all the way to Northampton and all of the way back again. He had many teeth missing (so much for the hospital dentist) and his speech wasn’t easy to understand but once you were tuned into him it got easier and he certainly didn’t let it stop him talking.  Later I found out that he had dentures but didn’t like wearing them, preferring instead to ‘gum’ his food making meal times fairly hit and miss (as his messy clothes testified).

Despite intermittent rain, the day trip was good. We broke into small groups went on rides, played in the park and ate our packed lunches. Malcolm was like a child and an adult at the same time. He laughed frequently and easily but was very serious with his things; the comb went back into the pocket every time, the mac was folded on his arm when he was warm, the wrappers from lunch were placed carefully in the bin. It was a good day but a tiring one, and by the end of it everyone was more than ready for home.

After the trip, we continued to visit Cell Barnes on a weekly basis. Each Friday, when I arrived, Malcolm would run towards me, mac flapping open, arms flailing widely at his sides, mouthing hello. The dandruff laden hugs were bearable to see him so happy. Visiting time passed easily; we went in groups to the canteen or workshops or walked in the grounds. One day Malcolm showed me his most treasured possession, a sports hold all in which was a boxed Mr Kipling sponge, a present he said, from his parents. One of the nurses told me they hadn’t visited or been in touch for a several years, the sponge cake appeared to be all he had to remember them by and he treated it accordingly, with absolute reverence.  

Like many patients at Cell Barnes, Malcolm had little contact with the outside world and a limited understanding of it. He was cared for, fed and safe albeit as one of many. He and the other patients, many of whom were highly dependent, were well away from the public consciousness. When Cell Barnes closed, the more able patients like Malcolm were transferred to small community homes and both they and the communities they went to live in had to adapt to a whole new way of living. The secret world of the hospital for ‘Mental Defectives’ became very public and for some that was a difficult adaptation to make, staff, patients and public alike.  

For me the visits to Cell Barnes were an intriguing insight into a whole new world, the world of hospitals smells, sights and sounds although it was the job that the nurses did that really caught my eye. I was 17 and hooked, I just didn’t know it yet. 

It is to my lasting regret that I stopped visiting Malcolm a year later when I left school, but I have him (and my lack of athleticism) to thank for starting me on a journey which has continued to this day. Thanks Malcolm.

13 comments:

  1. I worked at Cell Barnes from 1986-1989. It was my first real job and will always be my first love. I was just 18 and moved from the North to St Albans. I was looking to escape the tiny Northern Village . I remember I'd applied for and been accepted in 3 very different jobs. One as a rep at a Pontins holiday camp, the second as a race horse stable hand in Scotland and the third at Cell Barnes... How did I make my decision..?.... Easy.... My dad told me the sun always shone down South... Decision made!!!
    I loved Cell Barnes, I loved the staff, I loved the 'patients' I loved every minute of the three years I worked and lived there. Yes, in essence it was an institution but it was also a community and a sanctuary of safety and acceptance for all who had the privilege to be a part of it. I have great memories and periodically reflect on Cell Barnes... Thus, today found this whilst googling, and had to comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment i have worked there too ans lived at the Nursing home , i had a great Times with The résidents ans staff

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your comments, it is really nice to hear from somebody who actually worked there. I later worked at Napsbury Hospital, which you may recall was in nearby London Colney. It had the same community feel to it that you describe at Cell Barnes; seems a world away now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating account Julie. Would you like to share some of your memories with the Trustees of the Highfield Park Trust? Myself and another Trustee are researching the history of both the former Hospitals on the Park site and to this end are conducting very informal interviews. If you are happy with this idea please do contact me on the email address history@highfieldparktrust.co.uk and perhaps we can arrange a date to meet.
    Sue Gaylard (HPT Trustee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My auntie who would be 80 this year was at Cell Barnes for several years. My dad tells me that when she was younger she was totally fine of mind but at school a very nasty teacher was caught slamming my aunt's head back and forth against a class room wall!! This happened on several occasions and this was the start of her retreat into herself. Very sad.
    When the mother.. My grandmother.. died my grandad was away at sea so it was left to my 12 year old dad to look after auntie Sylvia and their younger brother along with some help from other family members. In the end it was too much for dad so reluctantly Sylvia was moved to Cell Barnes. This was in the mid 60s. I was born in 66 so about the same time as Silvia moved.
    Every other weekend we visited Sylvia and the other weekend my uncle... Dad's younger brother..and family visited. This went on until she passed in the late 70s.
    I can recall to this day the drive down from Shefford. I can still 'see' the woods to the left of the building as we entered the grounds...I used to pick bluebells in the woods when they were growing and Sylvia used to take them back to her bed. The grounds were extensive! Sylvia used to love just being in the car going round and round the huge green.
    She seemed happy there only getting upset when we left..Obviously.. And when things went missing from her cabinet that she had. I can still recall she had about 5 hairdryers in her time there... But they didn't ever break they just went missing. But apart from that she seemed content. Her favourite event was coming home for the day or sometimes a weekend. She loved Christmas with us!
    The only 'bad' thing I remember was when she passed no one could tell us why she died. After nearly 3 years we managed to get hold of records but they were still a bit hit and miss.
    What used to make me sad was knowing that many of the people there didn't get visitors...I couldn't understand why even at my very young age. I still can't now... It is your family!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilived just down the road and also very went on to become a nurse after a visit from Francis Bacon Grammar. Years later I had the privilege to work in a resettlement project from Cell Barnes and how our ladies and gentlemen thrived in their new home in Potters Bar. Incidentally I have mosaic Down Syndrome so being born in 1953 I could easily have been a patient there, hence my love of learning disability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cell Barnes was a hell hole, don't try to romantisize it. I couldnt believe what I witnessed there. Souls neglected and treated like waste one doesn't know what to do with. Don't try to kid yourself or anyone else,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree was a horrible place, my brother was there for over 20 yes. So many lost souls,tried for years to get my brother out of there.

      Delete
  7. Hi unknown, Many people I have got to know started nurse training there and eventually became life long friends. It was indeed a place of total misery with people treated like sub human, objects of pity or as an eternal child. It mistreated people and great cruelty was witnessed there. It was human suffering on a grand scale. Young adults and small children seemingly giving up, resigned to their fate. So called health professionals in control of their lives but not even giving the bare essential care. It was a hell hole but it shaped me into the person I am today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I was really interested to read your story about Cell Barnes. I was a Staff Nurse there from 1989 to 1994 and have many different memories of good and bad things. It often was a struggle,fighting the fight against the instutionalisation there and I clashed with lots of people but I also met some wonderful people too. So many residents I fell in love with and tried my best to make their lives better. I often wonder what ever happened to them. I worked on Ward 17 and Ward 18 (male) and then the mixed Admission and Assessment unit. I joined the Catering Services Committee to try and improve the dreadful food that was served and I became a Referral Profile Nurse assessing patients who had hit crisis and might require admission.
    I am glad that institutions like that do not exist anymore but i met some fantastic people and I will always value that and I learnt so much along the way, and I believe it contributed towards forming my caring attitude and willingness to challenge authority

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting to read your account of working there. Thank you for sharing. Makes me hopeful that there was actually some good done there instead of just the horrors I've read of other accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if anybody remembers my late mother's sister, my aunt Olive Patricia Sexton, born in 1919, who was a patient at Cell Barnes between the 1950s and when she died of pancreatic cancer in 1977. I only just found out that she existed and I now have a photo of her, but I don't know why she was at Cell Barnes nor if and where she was buried? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete