Friday 4 October 2013

Bullies - nothing new in the NHS

The first time I was bullied, I was about 6 years old and my tormentor was a girl called Rhona. She was a year or so older than me; she would wait for me at the school gate and when my Mum was safely out of the way, she would call me names, pull at my dress and push me in the back. I never knew why but I was a) chubby b) about the only child in the school who wore a uniform; apparently reasons enough to single me out as worthy of her attention. 

The second time I was bullied I was working at Napsbury and this time it came courtesy of a female member of staff called Jackie. Jackie worked upstairs on Lime ward and was good friends with Eileen the other nursing assistant in my team. She would come down to share a cigarette and a cup of tea with Eileen whenever they were on shift together. Jackie was not happy that I had the position on Lilac, she had hoped to transfer there herself. She was also not happy that Eileen had taken me under her wing since I had arrived. I of course knew none of this but Jackie made it very clear she did not like me, she would get up and walk away if I came to the table or turn her chair away and start a conversation with her back to me. What I didn't know was that she was also spreading some horrendous rumours about me behind my back . When I did eventually find out it explained an awful lot about the funny looks people gave me at times! For a while I was very unhappy at work but Jackie's behavior came to light eventually and I came to understand her unpleasantness was rooted in her jealousy of my friendship with Eileen. I was seventeen and a half and Jackie was in her forties and should have known better - I had much to learn about working with groups of women. 
 
 
Nowadays, there is much talk about bullying and harassment in the health service. Whether it be on a 1-1 basis, insititutional, top downward, peer, managerial, from relatives or patients (yes it happens that way too) or from colleagues, it is always wrong. The problem is that a bullying is a way of being, you can't switch it on and off and if you can't be kind (or at least respectful) to your work colleagues you will not be kind to your patients. I salute the Graham Pinks and Helene Donnellys of this world, who have spoken out about poor standards, harassment and bullying in the workplace, sadly, in both their cases, on a large scale. However, whether it be on a small scale or a grand scale it is never acceptable. It will ultimately always come back on the patient in one way or another, and for that reason alone it must be stamped out.

Next, the end of a (psychiatric) era...




1 comment:

  1. Nice article great work thank you for posting a such tremendous amount of knowledge
    CNA Jobs Near Me

    ReplyDelete